coffee pot posts

Saturday morning coffee pot post

This is my occasional, once upon a time weekly, blog post where I brew a little pot of coffee and then just start writing whatever pops out until I’m tired of writing. Most of the time it is my news and plans, but sometimes it ends up being therapy.

The big news for me this week, which has been super stressful at work, is that Sandy bought me a refurbished Dell laptop to replace the one that died last summer.  Blogwise, that means that there will be more writing here, since I hate typing on the Kindle and I don’t have to blog on my lunch hour at work any more.  Work is busy this time of year.  I’m juggling a lot of different and related tasks but I enjoy most of it. It makes the day go fast but I come home rather mentally exhausted. It simply falls out that most of my work falls in the months of January through March. In April it will begin to taper down, and then by mid-May I have time for other projects that aren’t required or time-sensitive. So I’m taking lots of vacation time beginning in late April through early August this year.

I have not started any seeds this year, which I regret, but I no longer have a good place to shield them from curious and destructive cats.  Last year I started seeds at my office, but now I have so many plants from my mother’s house in there that it seemed like too much.  Susanne and I have rented three plots in the UNCG Community Garden this spring, but due to weather and sickness and busyness we’ve done nothing with them so far.  We planned to work on preparing them to plant next weekend since there is supposed to be a quick hard freeze this weekend, but I just stepped outside and the cold wind is wicked. We’ll see about later. Susanne will take one plot, I’ll take one plot, and we’ll do one together like we did last year. I’m going to plant at least half of mine with paste tomatoes, probably Roma, because I want to can tomato sauce with my mother’s pressure canner this summer.

Tapestry obsession is the main thing with me right now. It’s hard to think about anything else. I try to weave about an hour every night if I have the mental energy to begin.  Once I begin, I relax into it. It is like meditation for me.

Sandy has been diagnosed with Type II diabetes, which was no big surprise to either of us. He has been pre-diabetic for some time now. That boy loves his sugar. He has been pretty good at adjusting so far and has lost some weight since he gave up soda and sweet tea and lemonade. We are attending a three-week diabetes class together on Tuesday nights and I think that the next one on carb counting is going to be a big shocker for him. I’m attending as support, and as the cook in the house, but since my glucose is on the rise and I have such a huge amount of diabetes on both sides of my family I suspect that I’ll be in the same boat at some point.  Either way, it’s a good idea to cut down on sugar. I’ve lost about seven pounds since December and ten since last June. Slow, but I like my grains and beer and I sit on my butt all day.

I bought a new Canon point-and-shoot camera since mine has a cracked display and a fuzzy spot in the photos now. It should get here next week, in time for me to carry it to Oregon with me on April 22.

My sister Lisa has done a lot of work and cleaning out closets and under beds at my mother’s house, which we now call Marietta Manor. She has hired someone to remodel the main bathroom and do some painting to get it ready to sell. I have a feeling that she is going to have a hard time letting it go. I will too, of course, but not like Lisa and Thad. I’m ready to start my life over somewhere else, and the thought of a clean break from North Carolina and its politics feels like a breath of fresh air to me.

Last weekend I brought home my mother’s drawing desk and a ton of old photos that belonged to my grandmother and Aunt Lib (on my daddy’s side). The box with Aunt Lib’s photos had my name written on it in Daddy’s handwriting.  I cried because I remembered the day that he talked to me about it and watched him write my name on the box. I miss my Mama and my Daddy so much. It seems particularly hard these days. Maybe it is a phase in my grief. I’m even dreaming about my cat from my childhood. Going “home” is hard.

Okay, I think that I’m done. Time to clean house a bit, weave a bit, then go buy groceries.  Garden prep if the wind dies down.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.